The purpose of this award is to recognize and emphasize the achievements of a bookmobile/outreach librarian who has made outstanding contributions to the development, promotion, and implementation of bookmobile/outreach services in the local community.
This award is named in honor of James Harrison. Mr. Harrison served as the bookmobile librarian in Bell County from 1972 until his death in 2000. Mr. Harrison was an avid attendee of bookmobile conference and was known for his passion for outreach services.
- The nominee must be an individual member of the Kentucky Public Library Association (KPLA) of the Kentucky Library Association (KLA) or be employed by a library holding institutional membership, and hold certification from the Kentucky State Board for the Certification of Librarians. Any level of certification is acceptable.
- The nominee must have held the position in the past 12 months.
- Accomplishments of the nominee in the areas of:
- Outreach library services;
- Outreach programming and community service;
- Public awareness of library outreach;
- Community partnerships and support;
- Innovative implementation of unique ideas.
- Accomplishments of the nominee in working with all ages of the community.
- Nominations may be made by anyone in the library field (staff, trustees, friends).
- Nominations should be concise, responding to the criteria above. Submit no more than two pages of narrative, with no more than three pages of supportive material (newspaper clippings, photos, etc.).
- The information and the quality of the application shall be the sole basis of selection. If no application meets the criteria above, no award will be given.
- The KPLA Awards Committee will make the selection based on the above criteria.
- All nominations must be signed. No anonymous nominations will be considered.
- The KPLA Awards Committee may choose to make no award in any given year if the quality of the nominations is not determined to be satisfactory.
- 2015 – Susie Harper (Breckinridge CPL)
- 2014 – Toy Lancaster (Lexington PL)
- 2013 – Christine Gish (Daviess CPL)
- 2012 – NONE
- 2011 – Kellie Scott (Paris – Bourbon CPL)
- 2010 – Barbara Faris (Fleming CPL)
- 2009 – Ann Schoenenberger (Kenton CPL)
- 2008 – Darlene Sargent (Scott CPL)
- 2007 – Tom Durbin (Bowling Green PL)
- 2006 – Jim Tucker (Casey CPL)
- 2005 – NONE
- 2004 – Kay Peterson (Marion CPL)
- 2003 – Wilma “Babe” Hughes (Pulaski CPL)
- 2002 – NONE
- 2001 – Sherry Jenkins (Estill CPL)
- 2000 – Michelle Robinson (Grayson CPL)